Sunday 9 June 2013

Hanoverian Field Jaeger Corps

These figures represent the Hanoverian army's Feldjager corps in 1815. This unit was raised from foresters and huntsmen in 1813.  Originally 2 companies strong, it was increased to 4 companies.  Only 2 of those were present at Waterloo, about 330 officers and men, in Kielmansegge's 1st Hanoverian Brigade in Alten's 3rd Division.  1 company, about 160 men, was  part of the garrison at Hougoumont, and this is the unit I have modelled here.  That's 8 figures using the General de Brigade 1:20 ratio, which is perfect because 8 figures are what you get in this excellent set from Westfalia Miniatures.  The sculpting is by Paul Hicks.

I haven't been able to find out much about these troops.  At Hougoumont, they appear to have been positioned in the wood to the south of the farm, and in due course retreated to the farm's orchard.  There was some to-ing and fro-ing as the orchard changed hands a couple of times y appear to have been  at some stage.  As for the uniforms, sources refer to "dark green" coats and "apple green" facings, with black leatherwork.  I used the Foundry "French Chasseur Green 71" for the coats and "French Dragoon Green 70" for the facings.  Officers' sashes were yellow and the rifle straps were brown leather.  The grey trousers were painted with the Foundry "Stone" palette.  I thought about basing these figures as singles, but then decided to put them on standard GdB skirmish bases.  My next idea was to pose them in a sort of "fighting retreat", with the running figure on each base moving backwards, being covered by the other figure.  But that just looked odd - I think with skirmishing figures like this you really need them to point the same way.  This is a lovely little set of figures, very well sculpted and easy to paint.  These were the first figures I painted when on paternity leave in February - I just felt I needed to paint something a bit different, and which didn't involve British red or French dark blue.

I'm slowly getting ready for "ACW Week", which I first threatened this time last year and then didn't get around to it.  To recap - I painted about 100 Dixon ACW figures last year, including many that I'd "tarted up" from about 15 years ago.  I've painted a few more ACW figures since then and I'm trying very hard to finish off my Stonewall Jackson command vignette.  

8 figures. Painted February 2013.





13 comments:

WSTKS-FM Worldwide said...

Lovely painting, Giles. And a nice change of pace from all of the usual troop types one typically sees for this campaign.

Best Regards,

Stokes

AJ (Allan) Wright said...

Great facial expression on that last photo. Superbly painted. I'm quite fond of all of the Hanoverian units from 1815. They're all so unique looking. The Field Jagers aren't a unit I was familiar with but they're also quite nice and unique. I hope you choose to do more Hanoverians.

rct75001 said...

Giles - have just stumbled across your blog and spent almost an hour looking at old posts and I am only 1 year of so in. Wonderful work here.
Thanks
Richard

Stefan (aka. Monty) said...

Hi Giles,

as always a great paintjob. Really stunning!

Cheers
Stefan

David said...

Nice work, Giles.

Bill5549 said...

Great figures. Just reading reading up on the Hanoverians of 1815.

Baconfat said...

Those are beautifully done.

Silver Whistle said...

Those are wonderful sculpts Giles and your painting has brought those faces to life.
Cheers,
Pat.

Lord Hill said...

Lovely figs, lovely painting, and very interesting about their activity at Hougoument! I'm going to get some for myself now!

Lord Hill said...

Lovely figs, lovely painting, and very interesting about their activity at Hougoument! I'm going to get some for myself now!

Christopher(aka Axebreaker) said...

Excellent painting Giles! Really looking forward to your ACW material!

Christopher

Ken said...

Nice work Giles!

Schrumpfkopf said...

Really lovely paintinr. The expression you gave them really cracks me up!